Wednesday, May 23, 2018



Well, I'm still in Santiago and still taking it very easy. This morning I went to the village by tuk tuk to visit Maximon and get some cash. I met “The Empowered Pool Boss” yesterday.
His name is Salvador a nice Mayan man who's daughter and son-in-law are hosting Maximon now. and He filled me in on Maximon a blending of Mayan and Catholic beliefs. He's not a saint but travels in the same circle of friends. He smokes, drinks and is said to be a bit of a trickster and womanizer. You are expected to bring gifts of smokes, booze and or money to visit him and ask a favor. I asked him to help heal my toe. It might be a little better. His location changes at least annually and he is attended by several of the faithful. They carefully give him a drink before offering you some and place cigarettes in his mouth and light them.
They also have a statue of a reclining Christ in the highly decorated room.
I took one of the hotel's canoes out on Lake Atitlan and got some sun.
Later I took a sauna in the wood-fired lava stone sauna. Wow!

Then the clouds/fog rolled in.
Charles and I are communicating when possible. My wifi and cell are intermittent. Waaaaaaa!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the pictures and the blog check in. I am an avid follower. Have you adopted the Maximon religion now?

    ReplyDelete