Friday, May 25, 2018

May 25

I hit a wall yesterday.  La pared.  I was getting pretty good, spouting gibberish without regard to form or content.  Then my teacher introduced conjugation.  My enthusiasm and my confidence fell.  I graduated today, and I know I can carry on a conversation, but fluency is a fantasy.

This is a very pleasant place to live.  Established only 50 years after Columbus discovered America, Antigua retains its cobble stoned streets, inner courtyards and Mayan textile hawkers.  The city is dotted with churches big and small, most in some state of ruin or repair.  My own corner was idyllic, but I am ready to move on.  

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry. If they are anything like Germans they will correct you. Present perfect tense should save some of the headache of conjugation and irregular verbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on completion of course. How's the way in Nicaragua?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, guys, keep it up, sounds like a terrific adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use "USTED" for everybody. It is appropriate and will be lots easier to conjugate. I used the formal German "you" a lot because it is easier to conjugate.

    ReplyDelete