Monday, May 21, 2018



One morning we were able to see a small eruption of ash cloud from Volcan de Fuego from the rooftop terrace at our hotel. 
After a few days in Antigua we visited Freddy, a friend of Charles from high school and his lovely family in Guatemala City.  

Freddy was good enough to pick us up and take us back.  On the trip we congratulated ourselves for opting out of driving ourselves.  
Charles is stuck living this hell-hole for the week and I weep for him whenever I think about it. He can tell you about the magnificent gardens his private terrace etc.  He went on a trip to one of the active volcanoes you can visit while I was playing poker with police and getting lost etc.  He has some photos and will probably post them soon.  His class is truly intensive and I expect he will be pretty drained by the end of the day. 
 



While Charles was on his volcano trip I drove to Santiago Atitlan, Where I will be for at least most of the week.  First trip without a co-pilot/navigator.  I missed one turn and was then flagged down by police at an informal check point.  After looking at my papers and glancing into the Beast, they told me that they needed gas for their truck.  I said they could siphon some from the Beast.  They declined.  Then one said that he needed money for coffee and water.  I told him that I had a bottle of water that he could have.  Then he finally just said that I should give him money.  I declined and after a brief stare down I shook his hand and left.  He also told me where I had missed my turn.  Then a drive through a few villages, in both of which it was market day and in one the road was completely torn up and impassable. 


I'm now here and taking it very easy.  I'll arrange a horseback trip and probably paddle around in one of hotel's free kayaks or canoes.  The coffee is amazing!  Here is the Beast taking a well deserved rest and a view from my room. 


lake Atitlan from the hotel dock near the pool


3 comments:

  1. Hard to read the latest posting with black font.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wonderful Bill! Bring me back a rock from the igneous riches there!

    ReplyDelete